CDMA Meeting Minutes
November 28, 2013
Minas Lodge #67 - Parrsboro
Meeting opened at 7:30pm with RW Bro. Alan Linkletter as Chairman. 18 brother masons from the Cumberland District were present. 6 from Alexandra, 2 from King Edward, 1 from Acadia, 4 from Minas, 1 from Widow’s Son and 4 from Wimburn.
Approval of published minutes of last meeting moved by MW Bro. Barry Imber and 2nd by Bro. Jim Hannon. Motion carried.
Motion to allow us to deviate from the published Agenda as necessary was moved by VW Bro. Bill Merriam and 2nd by RW Bro. Jack Boyd. Motion carried.
Sickness and Regrets - RW Bro. Boyd spoke of the trouble Bro. Ryan Beattie had just gone through. The home right next to his had just burned down. His home and business received a lot of damage as a result of this fire.
RW Bro. Linkletter spoke about Bro. Greer whose interment was today (Nov. 28) in River Hebert.
FINANCIAL REPORT - RW Bro. Phil Adams reported that at present in our Amherst account we had $649.90.
The webmaster, VW Bro. Gaul, presented his bill to the treasurer for the year. It was $17. He explained that this was more than he had expected because the hosting company had increased the yearly hosting fee. The bill for the rest of the website costs has been forwarded to the PR Committee of Grand Lodge to see if they will cover it. They have indicated they will but the cheque has not arrived as yet.
Caledonia Orchestra Report
Neither Bro. Tom Mattinson nor Bro. Jim MacNab were present to reported on the Caledonia Orchestra project.
Bro. Jim Hannon and RW Bro. George Anderson reported that a cheque was received from the Scotia Bank for $6,708. This was a result of the bank matching our ticket sales. Apparently not all bills have been paid (finalized) so the figure of exactly how much we will presenting to CEIP was not ready to be announced as yet.
(See cheque presentation on our website) http://cumberlandmasons.ca/district-news-2013-2.php
Discussion was held regarding the show and the how the event was planned, etc.
Ticket sales was a big issue and we were very uncertain if we were going to have enough to pay for the event, even up to the evening itself! However, there was a great turn out and the “at door sales” pulled us through.
Comments that have been heard regarding the show - the facility was great, the show was fantastic, the only negative comment was it was a little too long!
Some facts regarding the event and comments for future consideration:
RW Bro. Linkletter said that the painting his daughter had donated brought in $199.75 in tickets sales! A special thanks to her for the donation. This money was put into our general account to help with the CDMA expenses.
The question was asked as to when we will be making the presentation to CEIP. RW Bro. Linkletter said that CEIP can not have anything to do with receiving money while the United Way Fund Raising is underway. Once this campaign is over we will make our gift to them.
Tantramar Radio Station Membership
The chairman brought up the topic of taking out a membership in the Tantramar Radio Station. For the fee of $25 we can be a member of the station. This community station and was very good to us in our Caledonia Orchestra project. Motion to become a member made by RW Bro. Adams and 2nd by VW Bro. Graeme Bales. Motion carried.
The chairman commented that to follow up on VW Bro. Merriam’s question (regarding supporting the Shriner’s Hospital) at the last meeting, he got in touch with the head person at the Masonic Foundation of NS. The matching 3-to-1 is only available to N.S. projects or charities. However, there is another program which can be accessed by an individual not a lodge or the CDMA. The information was passed on to VW Bro. Merriam for possible use next year.
As to this year’s fund raising project and what charity to support there was much discussion.
1. Basically, if we decide to choose another charity we should be looking at 2014-2015 so that we can let CEIP have a year’s notice that their funding from us is coming to an end.
2. If we can get more input from the membership, then perhaps there will be more support when the time comes to participate.
3. When a decision is made as to a project, we need to establish deadlines and communication lines between members, the committees and the lodges.
A number of ideas for projects were put forth - Family Fun Fair Day - Curling at River Hebert Rink and Supper - Silent Auction......
It was moved by MW Bro. Imber that the 2013-2014 Charity remain as CEIP. This was 2nd by RW Bro. George Anderson. Motion carried.
REVIEW OF NEW COMMITTEES
The chairman reviewed the names of the two committees. Audit Committee: VW Bro. Merriam and VW Bro. Scott McNairn. The Project Committee: Bro. Tom Mattinson, Bro. Terry Porteous. To this the names of Bro. Travis Saulnier and Bro. Ryan Beattie were added. We had no on for the Public Relations Committee but MW Bro. Imber volunteered himself for the position.
The Project Committee was asked to come up with an idea or ideas for a fund raising project, develop an outline of how it would work and present it to the next Executive Meeting and to the next CDMA Meeting.
district drama team
RW Bro. Phil Adams, as head of the team, is looking for more volunteers. He said that the team is planning to put on their first drama at Wallace Lodge on Dec. 9 at 7:30pm. Please come along and help out or just sit back and enjoy .
No change - the gavel is still with Laurie Lodge.
RW Bro. Phil Adams, as secretary of Wimburn, gave it to the secretary of Laurie Lodge where it now waits to be given to Acacia Lodge #8.
RW Bro. Boyd attended the last BOGP meeting and gave his report.
Some items of interest from his report:
DDGM the RW Bro. George Anderson gave a short report and then spoke about an email he received from Buddy Trenholm of District 2 & 7 of the Jurisdiction of NB. He proposes an Interprovincial Day of Fellowship between his District, the Jurisdiction of PEI and the Cumberland County District of NS.
What he has sent is just a rough draft ( see his email at the end of these minutes). Our brothers thought it was a great idea to get these three districts together; however. there would have to be a number of changes made to the proposal to make it work. Please have a look at the draft and let your brothers in your lodge know about it.
MASONIC SLEIGH RIDE
The chairman brought up the idea of a Sleigh Ride. There is a gentleman, a Mr. Harry Dowe, in the River Hebert who conducts sleigh rides and a supper for groups. Cost $12. There are also evening rides. He can accommodate up to 60 people and if you wish a meal it is $35 each.
This is something for us to think about as a way of doing things together this winter.
Next meeting will be Feb. 27, 2014 .
Location: Amherst Masonic Hall 7:30pm
Motion to adjourn by MW Bro. Imber seconded by W Bro. Hannon. Meeting adjourned.
Respectfully Submitted by,
VW Bro. Mike Gaul (CDMA Secretary)
It would be nice if the three Jurisdiction in our area could have one day
each year, when we could get together for a day of Masonic Fellowship. I would
like to propose that in the month of September that the jurisdiction of Prince
Edward Island, Cumberland County District of the jurisdiction of Nova Scotia and
Districts two and seven of the jurisdiction of New Brunswick, that one Saturday is
put aside so that the craft can get together in fellowship and harmony.
My proposal would be that the fourth Saturday of September be set aside
and that a Masonic meeting take place each year for the sole purpose of
Fellowship. What could take place, if all agree, is one Lodge host the get together
(hosting Lodge) for that year with each of the others jurisdictions appointing a
visiting Lodge from their jurisdiction to attend as the official visiting Lodge. All
Brethren from any Lodge within all jurisdictions can attend and will be
encouraged to attend this meeting and all names will be recorded within the
What would take place at this Interprovincial Day meeting, is the host lodge
open the meetings by their ritual and one of the official visiting lodges closing said
meeting by their ritual. The other official visiting lodge would handle the program
for that meeting. Minutes would be kept in an official book which would travel
from year to year for all of these meetings and will include the names of all
Brethren that are present and what business was conducted.
What will start off these Interprovincial meetings would be that we would
assemble for greetings and introductions followed by a meal that would be put on
by the host lodge and a collection will be taken for cost recovery. The meal would
be a hot meal which would be self-serve followed by desert and tea or coffee.
Following the meal the host Lodge will then assemble in the Lodge room to open
Lodge and proceed with the day’s events.
The meeting would begin by the host lodge opening the meeting with only
Brethren from their jurisdiction present in the lodge room. Once the lodge is open
in due form the Master will send the Senior Deacon out to inform the brethren in
waiting that the Master is ready to receive them and then he will return to the
lodge and inform the Master that the visitors have been informed. The two
jurisdictions in waiting when informed that the Master is ready to receive them,
will make a request to be received and once permission is given will enter in two
columns headed by their jurisdiction’s Director of Ceremonies or whoever is
acting as such. The jurisdiction that will be closing the lodge will line up on the
North side of the lodge and the other jurisdiction assuming the South side. The
Director of Ceremonies for each jurisdiction will then introduce their respective
members. As the seating in the East varies in each lodge, the senior Grand Lodge
officer present from each jurisdiction will be invited to the east along with the
Masters of the two visiting Lodges. If there is extra seating in the East the
Directors of Ceremonies of each jurisdiction will direct the next senior Grand
Lodge Officers present to assume seats in the East until the East seating is full,
with the remaining Brethren introduced and taking seats on the side lines. The
introductions will alternate from one visiting jurisdiction to the other until all have
been introduced and all greetings will take place on the level in the East. The
Grand Master or his designate for the jurisdiction hosting the meeting he will be
in the east when the lodge opens. All greeting will take place on the level in the
East as the Brethren are introduced. The Grand Master or is designate from all
Jurisdiction will remain on the level in the East until all Brethren have been
introduced and greeted.
Once all introductions and greeting are made the host Lodge will continue
with the business of the day. The minutes of the previous year communication
will be read and confirmed. The only new business will consist of announcing the
host Lodge for the following year’s communication and presenting the Master of
this Lodge the picture which will be placed in next year’s host Lodge. The Craft
will then be called from Labour to Refreshment for the purpose of the visiting
Lodge that is doing the program to set up and the program will be presented
while at refreshment. The program should take at least ten minutes and no more
than fifteen minutes. The program can consist of anything, Masonic Education,
History of their Lodge, Lectures etc.
Once the program is completed the Lodge will be called from Refreshment
to Labour, and the Master will then hand the gavel over to the Master that is
going to do the closing. The closing Master will then ask the Officers of this Lodge
to vacate their stations and ask the closing Master’s Officers to assume these
stations for the purpose of closing the Lodge. All greeting will be done as per the
jurisdiction who is hosting the communication’s closing as they may vary from
jurisdiction to jurisdiction. All Brethren sitting in the East will be given a chance to
Once all greeting are given and the Lodge is closed, the minute’s book will
be brought up to date with all attending Brethren’s name attached and the book
will be passed to the following year’s host Lodge Master or his designate.
There are many things that will have to be figure out before our first
meeting but I think we should move forward and handle these issues as they
come up. If we could have everything set up and ready to go by May of 2014 that
will give all involved, for the first meeting, plenty of time to get ready.
A rough time line for the day of our meetings would be, assemble between
4:00 and 5:00 PM, meal to take place at sharp 5:00 PM with the meeting getting
underway at 6:00 PM. I see the meeting taking two and half to three hours to
complete. By starting early it will mean that we will not be that late in the evening
I am hoping that you will each take this to your respective Lodges and
Grand Lodges to see what it will take to make this work. I will always be available
for questions and I will try to answer all them and if not I will try to get the correct
Note: The progress of hosting Lodge would be as follows:
Next year’s hosting Lodge will be the Lodge that does the closing
Next year’s closing Lodge will be the Lodge that does the program
Next year’s program Lodge will be the Lodge that hosted this years meeting