Cumberland District Masonic Association Meeting Minutes
February 26, 2015
Alexandra Lodge #87 - Amherst
Meeting opened at 7:35pm with RW Bro. Alan Linkletter as Chairman. 15 brother masons from the Cumberland District were in attendance for the meeting.
Approval of published minutes of last meeting (Nov. 22, 2014) moved by Bro. Travis Saulnier and 2nd by W Bro. Amos Margeson. Motion carried.
Motion to allow us to deviate from the published Agenda as necessary was moved by RW Bro. Rob Campbell and 2nd by RW Bro. Archie St Peter. Motion carried.
Sickness and Regrets - RW Bro. Bill Merriam reported that VW Bro. Gary Sterling had recently gone in for his second blasting of his kidney stones. Also his father, W Bro. George Sterling, had recently broken his hip and is in the hospital and is not doing too well.
The Chairman said that we were very happy to see that RW Bro. St Peter is back with us after all his health problems. RW Bro. St Peter then filled us in on all the health problems that he had been dealing with but was now on the mend and gaining his strength back.
FINANCIAL REPORT - RW Bro. Phil Adams reported that as of the end of January we have a total of $837.73 in the bank account. Notice has been sent out to the lodges requesting they send in their $100 dues. An explanation was included to let the lodges know that this is for the present DDGM’s term of office (June 2014 to end of May 2015).
WEBSITE - VW Bro. Gaul reported that the website is being kept up-to-date as the brothers send in the info regarding those who are ill and the deaths that have occurred. As well when
any info and pictures regarding things that have happened in the lodges are submitted they are posted.
He also presented his bill for the website for this past year $69.39 Previously we have had the financial support of the Grand Lodge PR Committee; however, this year the PR Committee has had its budget drastically cut so they are no longer able to support such things as they have in the past. This means that we have to pay the total website bill ourselves. The CDMA budget has allotted $75 for the website expenses so this is still falling under that amount.
The chairman then asked the treasurer to pay this bill as it had already been voted on when the CDMA budget was approved.
According to our By-Laws an Audit Committee has to be appointed at this meeting to do the audit before our annual meeting on May 28, 2015. The following brothers have agreed to be on that committee:
RW Bro. Carl Adams
W Bro. Justin Simons
RW Bro. Bill Merriam
RW Bro. Phil Adams reported that there are no events planned for the immediate future.
He asked if anyone had any of the costumes. Some had but there are still some that are missing. We thought that our late W Bro. Paul Landry had some. W Bro. Ron Haylock will speak to Bro. Paul’s sister to see if she came across them when they went through Bro. Paul’s things after his death.
RW Bro. Phil Adams said he was going to have a few more costumes made and then they would have to appoint someone to be responsible for them and collect them after each time they use them.
Laurie Lodge said they may be calling on them to do the drama in May. Alexandra Lodge said they might be as well, if all goes as planned.
The gavel is now at Acadia Lodge in Pugwash.
RW Bro. George Anderson then said that their next meeting is Monday, March 2 and they are hoping to have the GM and maybe the immediate PGM as well. They will be presenting W Bro. Wayne Arsenault with a Meritorious Service Award. He is hoping that a few of the other lodges will have brothers in attendance.
MW Bro. Imber is away in England so there was no report.
WAYS & MEANS - SOCIAL COMMITTEES
The chair talked about our two social committees. These committees were set up to come up with ways to raise funds for the CDMA Charities and to try to have events to bring the brothers out to do things together.
The WAYS & MEANS Committee was set to promote a project for our CEIP & DeMolay charities. At present we have one volunteer, Bro. Travis Saulnier. We need 2 more. W Bro. Dwight Gallagher and W Bro. Larry Ross added their names. W Bro. Justin Simons may have an idea for a project. He will look into it for the committee.
The Social Committee has had one volunteer, W Bro. Robert Carter. RW Bro. Anderson said that W Bro. Carter sends his regrets but he hurt his back and was not able to make the meeting. The Chairman said we were hoping that we could have had some event before the end of May. RW Bro. Adams said it does not have to be a big event. He is planning to go over to Port Elgin to Westmoreland’s next chowder supper and that would be something we could do as a group.
RW Bro. Jack Boyd gave a report on a number of items that will be brought up at the next BOGP meeting. They included the age at which a man can become a mason, if suspended in one lodge you are to be suspended in all lodges and a number of other house keeping items.
The members then held a healthy discussion on some of these items.
Bro. Travis Saulnier said that they are working along but they need to get more members. It is open to all boys 12 to 21 years of age. If you know of any, please encourage them to check out the DeMolay. As one of their fund raisers they are doing a pick up of recyclables once a month. If you wish to donate, please let them know.
RW Bro. Bill Merriam asked if all the $100 dues from each lodge go towards the the bursaries the CDMA gives. The answer is no. $500 of it goes towards the Springhill NSCC bursaries along with the Masonic Foundation. The rest is used as indicated in our CDMA Budget. There is no other money for giving towards our charities.
The DDGM then asked could we ask the lodges to donate, say $50 each to go towards the CEIP and DeMolay? RW Bro. Adams said we do not have a mandate to ask for other monies from the lodges.
The DDGM then wanted to know how many of the lodges use the Masonic Foundation to get money for charities. It seems to be that all lodges do not, so could they not give some money to the CDMA to add to the CDMA’s money when asking for shared funding with the Masonic Foundation.
Bro. Amos Margeson said that Laurie Lodge is hoping to be more active they year and do more with the Masonic Foundation.
RW Bro. Bill Merriam said he was glad to see so many people here tonight. The numbers seem to be the same (15) as last time but there are quite a number of new faces.
He feels that the CDMA can only help our district, so it is good to see the brothers here.
He urged the brothers to make use of the website and to encourage the other members of their lodges to do the same. If anything is happening in your lodge, please send it along to VW Bro. Gaul so it can be posted for all the district to see.
RW Bro. Linkletter wondered if we should put in the minutes how many came to the meeting from each lodge. The consensus was “no”. The CDMA is not a group of district lodges, it is for all the masons in the district. According to our By-Laws:
The DDGM said that next year the DDGM will be coming from Minas Lodge in Parrsboro. It might be nice if our chairman would invite the new DDGM elect to attend our May28th meeting. The chairman agreed.
The location and date for the next meeting:
Next meeting will be May 28, 2015.
Location: King Edward Lodge in River Hebert at 7:30pm.
Bro. Travis Saulnier moved that the meeting close.
This was seconded by RW Bro. Archie St Peter.
Meeting Closed at 8:55pm.